Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dear 2013 - A Letter

Dear year 2013,

You are brand new. You have just been born. Hardly even 24 hours old. And this time is precious. You don't know much about anyone yet but I think you'll learn a lot over the next 12 months.

My plans for you are tremendous, requiring a lot of work on both our parts. I plan to make you the best year yet. That won't be easy since my senior year of high school was brilliant and I think 2012 may have even beat that with its adventures and schools and friends and food and jobs.

This year you, 2013, have my favorite number, 13. This is a good omen for me. This is my year. My number. I will do new things. Things I have never done before. I will meet new people. I will dance new dances and sing new songs. I will wear new clothes and maybe cut my hair. I will read new books and maybe see a new movie or two. I will have new experiences and make new memories to create something new out of the old, 2012, me.

2013, you will only be around for 365 days so you must be all you can be in that very short time. As your name suggests, you have many fore-bearers and each one gave something to every person who lived through them. Likewise, you will have many follow in your footsteps. You have endless opportunities before you. You can contribute in so many ways.

You represent newness and a bright open sky. A sky of my favorite pink, purple, and blue that suggests to people that they can throw off the old, the outdated, the heaviness, and the things that drag them down. You are a time for people to lose that weight, to make that commitment, to get that 4.0, adopt that child, make that leap of faith that will change their 2014 and 2015 and 2016. 2013, stay unbarred and unblocked for all those people for as long as you can.

2013 I know it is a lot to ask of you, but I believe it can happen. If you can, bring more peace than conflict. If you can bring more joy than grief. If you can, bring more love than hate. If you can, bring more pleasure than pain. If you can, bring more smiles than frowns.  If you can, bring more selflessness than selfishness. If you can, bring more light than dark. If you can, bring more hope than despair. If you can, bring more marriage than divorce. If you can, bring more prosperity than poverty. I believe in you 2013. I really, really do.

Now, I know there will be disappointment in the next 52 weeks, but why bother with that now when the sky is my favorite pink, purple, and blue? I know there will be some tears of sadness but why worry about that when the door is wide open?

I pray for you 2013. I give you my blessing and look forward to the next year you will be with us.
Sincerely,

Kylee Ann Snuffer

No comments:

Post a Comment