Friday, March 8, 2013

I've Just Had An Apostrophe!!!

So, I've seen various versions of this statement: "If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it". I was just pondering over that while walking home from class yesterday. I thought of it in terms of words though since I am taking a Language and Racism Class. There was a situation of former presidents using racist language in private but taking huge steps to advance rights for black people. People's opinions were colored by the fact that Lyndon B Johnson used that language even though his actions were to benefit the oppressed.

I adapted the statement in my mind to be something like: If I don't want anyone to hear it, don't say it". That lead me to wonder what my life/language/ideas/attitudes/etc would be like if everything I said could be said in front of any audience without me having to worry. If I could repeat anything I said to anyone what would my conversations sound like?

I would never gossip. I would keep to myself what should be kept to myself. I would protect other's secrets or information much more devotedly. I would probably be more Christ-like.

So folks, that is my new goal. Maybe make it yours too?

It's bound to be a challenge, but everything worth it always is a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment